Gugh has been occupied since pre-historic times as evidenced by its entrance graves and Bronze Age cairns. Kittern Hill has five entrance graves, one of which is Obadiah’s Grave which was excavated in 1901. There is also a cluster of fourteen cairns which are linked by prehistoric field walls or banks. The only standing stone on Scilly is the Old Man of Gugh, which stands at 2.7 metres tall at the base of Kittern Hill. There is also a cluster of nineteen cairns and a field system on the south part of Gugh along with a further two entrance graves.
More recent history is evidenced by two kelp pits, one on the north-east side of Kittern Hill – burning seaweed provided sodium carbonate for glass making.