Distance: 10.5 km
Wow Factor: 10 out of 10
- Location: Dumfries and Galloway
- Terrain: Cliff top footpath; fields
- Height gain: 248m
- Map: OS Landranger 82 Stranraer and Glenluce
- Starting point: Mull of Galloway Lighthouse car park, Drummore, DG9 9HP. Grid ref. NX 1551 3047
- Route description:
- Start from the car park and take the signed cliff path through the gate in front of the café
- Continue along the cliffs past Kennedy’s Cairn (visited by a short detour inland), to West Tarbet Bay.
- Take the signed footpath left around the Bay.
- Head down into Mill Glen, bear left at the bottom, over the bridge near the shoreline, then ascend the path that undulates through small bays and mini-ravines to reach the clifftop.
- After a gate, follow the field edge and turn inland at the waymark.
- Head through a gate and along the track towards West Cairngaan Farm.
- As the main track veers to the farm continue ahead on the grass path towards buildings at East Cairngaan, take the grass path on the right just past the gate (before reaching the barns).
- Continue alongside hedgerows down into Cairngaan Glen, turn right at the junction, go through a kissing gate then left through double gates and walk through the Glen to reach the road.
- Turn left over Barrack Bridge then right onto the signed path that follows Kirk Burn to the pebbly shore at Portankill.
- Turn right across the pebbles and take an undulating grass path, indistinct in places, along the coast to East Tarbet beach.
- Walk behind the building and follow the fence-line to find the path above gentle slopes and eventually reach the stone wall of the lighthouse compound.
- Take the stile to the right and ascend to the car park.
- Explore the Mull itself by heading into the lighthouse compound, follow the marked circular walk for spectacular views and visit the RSPB visitor centre or climb the lighthouse tower (seasonal).
- Getting there:
A77 S of Stranraer; then A716 to Drummore, follow signed single-track road to Mull of Galloway