This is a bit of a grand foodie tour around Harris with some excellent cafes and restaurants that are a true celebration of local food. Here’s some of our favourites:
1. The Anchorage, Leverburgh – think haggis and black pudding bon bons and good portions of fish and chips
2. The Butty Bus, Leverburgh – great place for soup or breakfast and a chat to the locals
3. Temple Cafe, Northton – a mini stone hobbit house on the beach with good soups, bread and bakes
4. Machair Kitchen, Talla na Mara – great seafood and local fare from the decks with one of the best views in Harris. Nearby, there is also the new and excellent pop-up restaurant Flavour
5. Skoon Gallery, Geocrab – excellent coffee and home-baking within an art gallery
6. Bay of Harris Community Centre, Lackalee – super-friendly cafe great for hearty soup and mighty scones. Have a look through the visitors’ book to find Charles and Camilla’s entry – they were out inspecting the Household tweed no doubt!
7. Sam’s Seafood, Rodel – a personal favourite try the seaweed roast potatoes, lobster flatbreads or salmon goujons. The list of delicious seafood changes daily. Takeaway only but lovely views to savour.
8. Harris Community Shop, Leverburgh – well stocked
All of these can be visited on our islandeering route. For further ideas of coastal circuits around the islands of Britain take a look at our book, Islandeering: adventures around the edge of Britain’s hidden islands