“The Whale” by Julian Meredith is a 160 metre long stone sculpture of a whale on the raised beach near Port Sgibinis at Balnahard. The outline is clearly visible and passers-by are invited to fill in the outline by adding a stone. This giant piece of art has been classified as a geographic feature, a hill carving, by Ordnance Survey. The best views of it are from Carnon Eoin, the highest point on the island.
To find the whale take the Balnahard track from the north end of the B8086 and head uphill at the base of the the crags and the sculpture can be seen as you descend the other side.
More ideas on what to do on Colonsay
- Cycle the island circuit – more here
- Wild swim at Kiloran Bay and experience the “Colonsay washing machine”
- Attempt all 22 MacPhies – more here
- Climb to the island highpoint for great views – more here – more here
- Go the beach – find the best ones here
- Walk to the tidal island of Oronsay – more here