Squeeze intoLittle Chapel Guernsey, thought to be the smallest functioning chapel in Europe and the world’s smallest consecrated church. Situated in the Les Vauxbelets Valley, in the village of St Andrew’s near the heart of the island, Little Chapel can fit about eight people.
The current structure is the third version built by Brother Déodat who created the first structure in 1914, as a miniature version of the grotto and basilica at Lourdes. The original, measuring 3 metres by 1.4 metres was demolished when the Bishop of Portsmouth visited in 1923 and could not fit through the door. The second version was built within four months measuring 3 metres by 2 metres. Brother Déodat then demolished his creation again and started to build a third, but died never seeing the finished chapel, which now measures 4.9 metres by 2.7 metres. The Little Chapel is decorated with seashells, pebbles, and broken china and is mentioned in the book plot of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.