This romantic ruin, also known as the ‘Salt Pot’, high on St Catherine’s Down and overlooking Chale Bay, is the only Medieval lighthouse in England and the subject of a colourful local legend. Built in the 14th century when the Pope ordered the Lord of the Manor, Walter de Godeton, to build an oratory and beacon on Chale Down as penance for his theft of wine from a French ship that ran aground on the rocks below. Building work started in 1785 but was never completed because the Hill is so often shrouded in mist and a more functional lighthouse was built on the coast at St Catherine’s Point in 1838.
Car park at Blackgang Viewpoint Carpark off A3055 (PO38 2JB; Lat/Long 50.594434, -1.304198). Bus service via Southern Vectis service 6 or Island Coaster (Summer) to Blackgang Chine and then 1⁄2 mile walk. The site is also along The National Cycle Network